Working Papers

Working papers are required for everyone under 18 years of age for all types of employment, including newspaper carriers. Forms must be signed by a parent/guardian, and a birth certificate, driver’s license/permit, baptismal record, or passport must be presented as proof of age.

The student must have a physical examination by the school physician or family physician. (examinations by a school physician will be available during the academic year but not during the months of July and August.) If the medical examination is satisfactory, the school will issue the employment certificate of permit.
Working papers may be secured from the Career and Counseling Office at the High School, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., during the academic year. This applies to all students whether they attend public, private, or parochial school.
  • Ages 11-12 Newspaper Carrier only (students need application from school and birth certificate).
  • Ages 14-15 Farm work and odd jobs, non-factory. Three hours maximum on school days, 8 hours maximum on non-school days, 18 hours total per week. May not work after 7:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m.
  • Ages 16-17 Various jobs with the exception of working with power- driven machinery. Four hours maximum on school days, a total of 28 maximum per week. May not work from 10:00 p.m. to midnight without consent (For ages 14-17, students need an application from school, birth certificate and proof of physical within the past 12 months.)
View text-based website